Last night I took all the measurement of the old stock (which fits Melia pretty
closely) and drew a template. Using the template I laid out the outline on the
blank. And cut it out a bit closer to the actual size to save some work. I cut
it out on my band saw leaving myself a good extra ¼".
Today was a productive day. I spent the evening working on the stock. I fitted the recoil pad onto the blank and started filing. I mainly used 3 files, for extremely rough work I used a 14" hoof rasp, medium to light work I used a Nicholson #48 and #50 wood rasp. Don't try to use a cheap rasp, they don't cut and they leave a rough finish, a Nicholson will run about $35-$50 but it will cut well and leave a smooth finish.
I filed for about 4 hours and called it quit for the night. I managed to get a lot done. The pistol grip is giving me problems, I'm having troubles getting it to look right. While I was filing, I made sure I new how deep I could go without hitting the bolt hole. I also left enough wood for a palm swell and to fit the gun to my Melia. I assembled the gun and tested the fit. Its pretty close, I think she'll have to pattern it to get any closer. Anyway, here's more pictures, I'll update again soon.
The stock is coming along great. I'm finished filing, and rough sanding. I have fitted the palm swell to Melia's hand and the stock is nearly fitted to her with a higher comb, more exaggerated toe out, and angled down-pitch butt. The Monte Carlo shape fits her much better than the factory stock and gives me extra wood to fine tune the fit at the range. I re-fitted the kick-eez recoil pad for the stock fitting changes, now all I have left is finish sanding and checkering. I order a checkering set from Brownell. I hope to have it next week and then I can start checkering and finish the stock.
I went the the MNH&H club and patterned the gun. It was shooting high and straight on at 20 and 30 yards. I shaved a bit off the comb and made a slight adjustment to the cast by removing wood to allow her face to get lower and closer to the stock and aligned her pupil with the bead of the gun. We tried this several times and we finally got it right. We went back and tested it a couple more times and we did it, perfect patterns. The last visit we went to the gunsmith/instructor and he checked it over and gave the final OK. I applied 14 coats of an oil finish on the stock. The last thing I have to do is checker it.
After a lot of practice with my checkering tools, I decided to send the gun out to get checkered. Ahlmans in Minnesota checked the stock for $25. I just got it back and it looks great. Here are the latest photos of the stock.
I started working on my forend. After examining what needed to be done, I decided to have it set out to be inletted. I received it back and it looked pretty close. I liked that the inletter left about 1/4-1/2 inch extra all around the forearm to let me make the shape I desired. The final fitting and shaping of the forend took about 6-8 hours. I needed to be very careful with the wood removal because this forend is only 1/8"-1/4" thick. The barrel inlet was quite a bit off and required extensive sanding with a wooded down and even my spindle sanded. After the fitting and shaping was done I sanded it down to 400 grit and started to finish it. I used the same finishing technique I use on my other stocks
My Finishing Page. Here are some pictures of the forend after it came back from the inletter and while I'm finishing it. The finish should be done and rubbed out in a week or so and then I'll get it checkered.
Two Months later I finally finished this project. Granted there were weeks of down time, but I'd say my total time into this was 75+ hours including finishing. It was a fun project and My wife really likes her new stock. Now I'm jealous and will make one for Browning XS and Beretta 391. Here are some picture of the finished product.